If you’re feeling down and you’re finding it hard to smile, your mood can significantly affect your appearance and overall health. There are many health benefits attached to keeping a smile on your face, and at Modern Family Dental Care, we provide smile makeover services in Concord and Charlotte, NC. We can help you feel so good about your smile that you’ll be grinning from ear to ear.
Your Smile and Self Confidence
People who smile often show that they are happy, confident, and in control of their life. Having an attractive demeanor is one of the many effects a simple smile can have on an individual. However, many of us don’t know exactly why smiling is so powerful.
There’s quite a lot happening behind the scenes. We’re here to give you a breakdown of how your brain processes emotions, controls moods, and how you communicate with others with your smile. Let’s explore a little more information about the science of smiling.
The Science Behind a Smile
Psychology has made us understand that smiling is an intricate process that involves various brain cells and body parts. A smile doesn’t necessarily tell what someone might be feeling, as it can be used deceptively. Sometimes we think a person’s smile reflects what they feel internally when it does not. However, there are three smile types that you cycle through depending on the circumstances. They include:
- The Spontaneous Smile: This occurs when you see something that makes you feel happy or amused – for instance, a hilarious meme on social media. In response to these stimuli, the brain releases neurotransmitters like dopamine, giving you the happy feeling associated with smiling.
- The Social Smile: This is the smile you show off when you interact with people. It may be a genuine smile or a fake smile. Regardless, smiling in social settings affects our moods and relationships with others.
- The Emotional Smile: This type of smile is the purest of all smiles. It happens when you are genuinely feeling happy, causing your brain to release oxytocin in response.
Our brain functions alongside our body to check our moods, and it gets some of its intel from the way we smile. Smiling dramatically affects your confidence, self-esteem, and overall health, so always ensure you give yourself enough reasons to smile daily.
The Benefits of Smiling
Smiling is good for your health. Cracking a smile even when you don’t feel like it can help reduce stress levels and ease tensions. Therefore, we suggest that the next time you feel stressed, take a few moments to smile.
Smiling helps release endorphins which help foster positive feelings and serve as natural painkillers. Interestingly, smiling also helps you feel relaxed, strengthening your immune system so it can function more effectively.
Having a stronger immune system can shield you from general and dental health issues such as infections and inflammation. This by itself is a big reason why you should endeavor to keep a healthy smile on your face as you go on with your daily life.
Finally, smiling boosts your mood, structures your facial appearance, balances your heart rate, and reduces your blood pressure. As the old saying goes, an apple a day keeps the doctor away. The same can be said for smiling. Thus, smiling daily enhances your body’s immune system and makes you live longer.
Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures to Enhance Your Smile
A broken, missing, stained, or misaligned tooth can wipe away the confidence in your smile. However, you can revive the appearance of your teeth and makeover your smile with our cosmetic dentistry treatments.
At our dental office, we provide cosmetic dentistry procedures that can give you the straight, white, and beautiful teeth you desire. To enhance your smile, we offer:
- Teeth Whitening: It’s pretty typical for your teeth to lose their color. Habitually drinking coffee and wine or smoking cigarettes can stain your teeth, causing them to lose their shine. With our teeth whitening treatment, you can restore luster to your teeth and enjoy a brighter smile.
- Dental Implants: Implants are applied as a form of tooth root replacement. They provide a firm foundation for the application of removable or permanent teeth. Dental implants help improve the appearance of your teeth and improve speech, comfort, and self-esteem. They are created to look like your natural teeth.
- Dental Veneers: Dental veneers are tiny, custom-made shells of tooth-colored materials used to improve the appearance of the teeth by covering the front surface. The shells are attached to the front surface of the teeth, thus correcting your teeth’s color, shape, size, or length.
Dental issues shouldn’t be the reason why you’re not confident in your smile. Schedule an appointment with one of our dentists to browse the suitable cosmetic dentistry options that are right for you. At Modern Family Dental Care, our dental team is ready to revive your smile and enhance your oral and overall health. Visit our Concord Mills, Davis Lake, and NorthLake offices to find out the best treatment to enhance your smile.