If you are missing most or all of your teeth or have many that are badly decayed, the idea of having a functional, confident smile might seem out of reach. However, advancements in dental technology have introduced treatments that can quickly transform smiles, with one of the most groundbreaking being the All-on-4 dental implants.
At Modern Family Dental Care, we offer All-on-4 dental implants in Northlake and Concord Mills, NC to replace our patients’ teeth and restore confidence in their smile. But what exactly are All-on-4 dental implants, and what are their benefits and drawbacks?
In this blog, Dr. Taj Haynes and Dr. Pernell Rogers – our family dentists in Northlake and Concord Mills, will explain the ins and outs of this dental procedure. They will also answer some FAQs and explain why an All-on-4 dental implant procedure may be an excellent treatment to help you achieve optimal oral health!
What Are All-On-4 Dental Implants?
All-on-4 dental implant is a revolutionary dental procedure that allows for the full rehabilitation of a patient’s mouth by placing just four dental implants to support an entire arch (either upper or lower) of prosthetic teeth. Instead of requiring an implant for every missing tooth, only four strategically placed implants hold and support the entire set.
Our All-on-4 dental implant in Northlake and Concord Mills is suitable for patients looking for quick results and a lasting solution to their missing teeth. This procedure is also suitable for patients who have lost several or all of their teeth and want a permanent dental replacement solution without opting for dentures or individual implants for each missing tooth.
What Is The Difference Between All-On-4 and Dental Implants?
You might wonder, “What is the difference between All-on-4 and traditional dental implants?” Well, think of dental implants as the solution for that one missing or severely damaged tooth. It’s like planting a tiny titanium post in your jawbone where the tooth was, replacing the tooth root, and then popping in a custom-made tooth. But, if you’re missing many teeth, have many badly decayed teeth, or don’t have enough bone to hold many implants, All-on-4 dental implants can come to your rescue.
With All-on-4 implants, you only need four implants to hold up a whole set of prosthetic teeth. And the best part? You can walk out with a full smile on the very same day! This is because the All-on-4 design allows for immediate loading, meaning patients can receive a full set of temporary teeth the same day as surgery, with a final prosthesis added later. So, while dental implants focus on single teeth, All-on-4 gives you a brand-new smile with full-arch restoration using only four implants.
The Benefits Of All-On-4 Dental Implants
Below are some of the benefits of All-on-4 dental implants:
- Swift Treatment and Recovery: All-on-4 dental implants allow many patients to have functional teeth in as little as one day. This expedited process is a huge advantage if you are eager to regain your smile without waiting for months. And since the treatment utilizes fewer dental implants, you can expect a quicker surgical procedure and reduced recovery time.
- Comfort and Fit: By being anchored in the jaw, All-on-4 dental implants provide a stable and secure fit, eliminating the movement and slippage that can occur with traditional dentures.
- Improved Aesthetics: With a design that closely mimics natural teeth, these implants restore a natural-looking smile and can even offer facial rejuvenation by supporting your lips and cheeks, potentially reducing wrinkles.
- Bone Grafting Is Often Unnecessary: The All-on-4 dental implants involve placing the back implants at an angle, making the best use of the existing jawbone. As a result, even those with minimal bone might avoid the need for bone grafting, a procedure often required for traditional implants. With a bone grafting procedure out of the equation, you can eliminate the often painful and lengthy healing process.
- High Success Rate: With proper care, maintenance, and skilled dental professionals like Dr. Taj and Dr. Rogers performing the procedure, All-on-4 dental implants have demonstrated a high success rate.
- Enhanced Oral Function: With All-on-4 dental implants, you can eat, speak, and laugh with confidence. The implant’s strength and stability allow you to enjoy your favorite foods without restrictions.
- Low Maintenance: Unlike traditional dentures that require daily removal and cleaning, All-on-4 dental implants can be cared for just like natural teeth with regular brushing, flossing, and dental check-ups.
- Long-Lasting Solution: With proper care and maintenance, All-on-4 dental implants can last a lifetime, making them a durable and long-term solution for missing teeth.
What Are The Disadvantages Of All-On-4 Dental Implants?
While All-on-4 dental implants come with several benefits, they also have some drawbacks, which include:
- Not Suitable for Everyone: Many patients are candidates for All-on-4 dental implants, but it’s not a universal solution. You must have good overall health and be free from conditions that might impede healing to be a good candidate for this procedure.
- Non-modular Design: Modifications or repairs can be challenging without a complete replacement.
- Failure Risks: If one implant fails, the entire prosthesis can be compromised. That is why you need to get your All-on-4 implant from an experienced dental professional who knows how to avoid the risk of dental implant failure.
What To Expect During An All-On-4 Dental Implant Procedure
Our All-on-4 dental implants typically begin with a consultation. During this period, our family dentists in Northlake and Concord Mills will evaluate your oral health, jawbone density, and overall health to ensure you’re a good candidate. Dental X-rays or 3D scans may be taken to determine if you require tooth extractions, bone grafting, or other preparatory procedures.
Before the procedure, your dentist will discuss your anesthesia options and sedate you to ensure a pain-free experience. Your dentist will then place four titanium implants strategically in your jaw – two at the front and two angled in the back to maximize bone support. Once placed into your jawbone, it will take about 3 to 6 months for the jawbone to heal completely.
A provisional set of teeth may be attached to the implants, allowing you to leave with a new set of teeth on the same day. Your dentist will also provide post-procedure guidelines, including diet, hygiene, and follow-up visits to monitor healing and plan for final prosthetic placement.
How Long Do All-On-4 Implants Last?
So, you’re wondering how long All-on-4 implants last, right? The metal bits (implants) that go into your jawbone are pretty sturdy and can last you a lifetime because they become part of your jaw. However, the tooth part (bridge) you use for chewing might need to be replaced or tweaked in about 15 to 20 years, depending on how you care for it.
Just like with natural teeth, visiting the dentist regularly and keeping them clean can make them last longer. Avoiding things like grinding your teeth or using them as bottle openers helps, too!
How Painful Is An All-On-4 Dental Implant Treatment?
Like other dental procedures, All-on-4 dental implant treatment involves some level of discomfort. However, you will receive local anesthesia or sedation to ensure the procedure is pain-free. Post-operatively, you can experience swelling, tenderness, and mild to moderate pain as you recover. You can manage these symptoms with prescribed or over-the-counter painkillers.
The intensity and duration of discomfort vary among individuals, with most experiencing significant relief within a week. Following your dentist’s post-operative care guidelines and taking medications as prescribed is essential to minimize pain and facilitate a smoother healing process.
Are All-On-4 Dental Implants Worth The Money?
Are you thinking of getting All-on-4 implants but worried about the price? Here’s the deal: Yes, they’re pricey upfront. But think about the long game. Instead of messing with dentures, glues, and regular replacements, you get stable and natural-looking teeth.
Unlike dentures, All-on-4 implants allow for better biting force, so you can eat your favorite foods without limitations. They also keep your jaw healthy and prevent that sunken face look caused over time by missing teeth.
So, while your wallet might feel the pinch now, the confidence and hassle-free life you get can make it worth the spend. However, since individual needs and financial circumstances differ, it’s vital to discuss with your dentist to determine the All-on-4 dental implants’ value for your situation.
Get A Long-Lasting Smile With Our All-On-4 Dental Implants in Northlake and Concord Mills
At Modern Family Dental Care, we are committed to creating a beautiful, confident, and healthy smile for everyone. That is why we offer All-on-4 dental implants in Northlake and Concord Mills, NC to replace our patients’ missing or severely damaged teeth and restore confidence in their smile.
We also offer dentures, Invisalign, and other revolutionary treatment services in Northlake and Concord Mills to help you experience the confidence that comes with a healthy and beautiful smile. Call (888) 716-3184 or schedule an appointment today to improve your oral health and overall well-being and achieve a long-lasting smile with our All-on-4 dental implants.